Thursday, April 21, 2016

What's the Big Deal Boston??

September 30, 2015 post Boston qualification release when I suspect 99.9% of the people who made the final cut were head over heals I had mixed feeling spurred by a few factors. 1. None of the people I knew who applied got in.  :(  Meaning I would be enduring most of the build up and racing the Boston solo. 2. I had just signed up for Ironman Chattanooga 2016 and I knew trying to race a marathon and an Ironman in the same year was going to be really tough.

Training
My training for Boston went extremely well. I hit all my key workouts and crushed all the lead up races. I even incorporated several key changes in my training that I think will benefit me huge as I continue to progress in the endurance world:

1. I increased my average running cadence from mid 160's to high 170's. This was something I did on my own with a lot of patience and having new found running partner, my watch metronome.
2. I did substantially more PT/strength training and countless hours of rolling out those nagging knots and tight spots.
3. I adapted some "free" running at least once a week without a watch. If I did have a watch I only used time. A quote from Allstar Coach Adam Otstot,  "Don't become a slave to your watch."
I challenge everyone to try it out. It is very enlightening once you start to do it routinely.
4. The most important change made was my approach to easy/routine runs. I went much much easier on all of them this year. As opposed to last year I would force myself to run every single run at or right above the high end of the prescribed pace no matter how I felt. This year I let the easy runs be easy and challenged myself on the interval, tempo and pace runs.

Race Morning
If you have never been or read about the Boston Marathon, the race starts at 10:00 a.m.  There is a catch, however, you "have to" ride the school bus from Boston Commons to the start in Hopkinton. The buses leave as early as 6:30a.m. depending on your wave. So 10 a.m. seems like a day to sleep in but that is not the case. The early bus ride to the start line begins the surreal day. When you arrive in Hopkinton you are staged outside in a field and treated with some music, water, food and other runners' stories as you wait  2+ hours for the start of the race. 
5 o'clock wake up!!


The Race
This year's race weather was on the warm side starting in the high 60's to low 70's.  There was not a cloud in site, beautiful beaming sun, and about 13-17 mph NE wind, head wind for the race. A spectator's dream weather.  :)

Walking up to the start I kept telling myself,  slow for the first 4 and then into pace. I was in wave 1, corral 3 to start. I was not fast enough to get lined up in the front and was forced almost to the back of the corral. This made it difficult during the start of the race to get any running room.

Miles 1-4: Easy, Easy, Easy (6:53, 6:40, 6:33 & 6:39)
The first 4 miles were congested, which would be the case until about mile 10, but it made running easy to begin  with no problem. I checked off the first 4 miles right where I needed to be. Yessss!!!! I didn't PR my 5K going down hill!!!!

Miles 5-8: Searching for a Partner with no luck (6:28, 6:27, 6:24, & 6:26)
Once I clicked past mile 4 and into 5 I started to open up the legs into marathon pace. In doing so I found out real quick that finding a rhythm and a running lane was going to be difficult with 3,000+ runners in front of me.  Also, starting in the back of my corral put me with a lot of runners pacing slightly slower then I had planned. As I bobbed and weaved through the stampede I searched and searched for a running partner or group at my pace but had no luck. I made it through 8 slightly slower than goal pace but felt smooth and under control.

Miles 9-11: You should have paid more Attention, Running Partners at last and clearing of the sea!! (6:23, 6:26 & 6:27)
At the mile 9 nutrition station I had 2 things happen that I distinctly remember. First, I started to notice runners around me drenched in sweat and complaining about the heat. However, even though I noticed this I still didn't think twice about what my sweat or body was doing. Mentally and  physically I thought I felt fine, so I keep going. Oh, I did start by saying there was not a cloud in the sky, nice beaming sun, 70°, and a 13-17 mph head wind, that is probably a good combination for sweat to dry quick into that granular salt that sticks to your cloths and makes your body a human salt stick.

The 2nd mile 9 memory was I over heard a pair of guys running by me saying they were pacing 6:20 until mile 17. "Yes!" I made my way to them.  I did a quick meet and greet and off we went. Finally as we clicked through mile 10 the parting of the sea happened and there was day light for running room. We continued pace through most of mile11 with no problems.

Mile 11.7: Please No :(
Mile 11.7 is the first on-course gel station. As I went to grab a gel I dropped it. Being kind, I guess, I stopped to pick it up instead of grabbing one from the next volunteer. As I bent down my left hamstring cramped up and almost brought me to my knees. I stood up and tried running a few steps but couldn't. I stopped and stretched it out until the cramp went away and I went on. All I could think was, "No, please no."  I just wanted to catch back up with my pace group and see what happens.

Miles 12-15: Maybe it was just a Glitch? (6:29, 6:25 & 6:24)
It took me about a half mile to catch the 2 guys I was running with, but once I latched on I was able to kind of recompose myself and asses the situation. I checked myself by touching my hat.  It didn't feel wet. My jersey felt dry and my face had no sweat. "Maybe the cramp was just a glitch. Refocus on running ,Jason," I told myself.

I passed the half way mark clocking in at 1:25:30 and I thought, "You are killing this. Right on pace for sub 2:50:00." The cramp had not came back so I figured I just had to keep the groove and get ready for the up hills.

Miles 15-16: Not a glitch and something is not right (6:33 & 6:38)
During mile 15 the hamstring cramp came back and I had to detach from my new running friends.  I made it to 16 fighting the cramp on and off with a my mood turning from your killing this to what is happening. As I continued my limp run down mile 16 I came to the, "You're entering Newton" sign and my mood shifted even worse. "I can't believe this. I put in months of training, killing workouts and now there are so many tracking me and watching my pace fall as I'm cramping, and now I have to go up these hills." As I got to the bottom of 16 I could see the first hill going up and around a bend and I told myself to just make it through the hills and I'll be okay on the down hills. With a hamstring cramp I would be using more of the quads.

Miles 17-21: Man that hurt but I made it! (6:39, 6:46, 6:42, 6:55 & 7:58)
Up the first hill I went, Mile 17.  Up the second, a little slower and little more painful, Mile 18. As I came down the second hill I couldn't believe my eyes. I had caught, gave a little "let's go", and passed my 2 pacing pals. Up the third hill I went, man that was a steep short one, Mile 20. Then Heart Break tore my cramp up but thankfully I made it dragging my legs with me, Mile 21.

Miles 22-23: ,down hill and starting to bring it home (7:07 & 7:27) 
Made it over the Heart Break Hills and started the decend into Boston. I thought I would be able to run a little faster using my quads but the cramps in my hamstring really didn't go away and slowly moved into my back and forearms (a good sign that I missed on my nutrition somewhere along the lines).


Mile 24: When is this going to be over (8:22)
As I hit mile 24 I was greeted with a huge gust of cold wind from the bay that just rocked my body and I came to a complete stand still on the course.  I took a few steps hearing the cheers and numerous people yelling, "Go Snapple. You're Almost There" and "I Love Snapple". All I could think was when is this going to be over. I took a few more strides but couldn't shake the cramps. I went to one of the course barriers and stretched my hamstrings, back, and forearms for what seemed like forever and then continued my march to the end.


Miles 25 to the Grand Finale (7:45, 7:34......2:59:19)
When I hit the final mile I yelled out, "Thank Goodness", and got some laughs from those around me. As I made my way down Boylston I did my best impression of a runner with a little limp jog finishing in 2:59:19.

As I made my way down what seemed like a mile long walk from finish to where I was meeting my wife I had a lot of emotions and personal thinking going on. At first as I was bummed with how 40% of the race went and that I didn't even come close to what I wanted to run.   But then about half through my walk I was over taken by what I had really just done. I ran the Boston Marathon!!   How many people can say that?? Well, probably a lot but I ran most the course with a relentless hamstring cramp, still finished under 3 hours, and made another BQ.   I would say that's pretty respectable for an okay age grouper!  So I was pretty stoked with the results even though I obviously struck out on my nutrition and paying attention to my body and thoughts early on. The race weekend was an awesome experience from start to finish.
Post race able to stand.


Race take aways/suggestions
1. I need to figure out my cramping/nutrition issues during longer warmer races. I kind of had the same thing happen at the One City Marathon just several miles later into race. A puzzle I need to work with my coach on.

2. I need to pay more attention to my body and weather conditions. Even though I didn't feel wet or really bad until the ending miles during the race, afterwards my face and arms were covered in dried sweat and my jersey was starched stiff from the dried sweat. It was pretty apparent that the wind was drying the sweat as I ran and I didn't take notice of it.

3. Enjoy the moment it may only happen once.

4. Every race needs spectators like Boston!! They literally lined the course from start to finish.

5. I would highly recommend doing a lot of long downhill running. Not 1/4 mile or so repeats but a mile or 5k repeats at race pace or faster on a treadmill or if your lucky enough to have down hills that mimic Boston go do them.

What's the big deal Boston?
April 19, 2016!  Why in the world did I have mixed feelings? That was the most amazing experience I have ever had racing!! The Boston Marathon experience is a big deal and if you get the chance go relish it because it could be a once in a lifetime experience.
The "Green Monster" was so big!!

What's Next
A good whole 1-2 week break, getting back with my true love triathletes :) , and focusing on IM Chattanooga.

Huge shout out to my wife and kids, Kristi, Kenly & Kayden, for always supporting my goals and hobbies. Thanks to the Snapple Tri  team and sponsors! It is always fun representing such a great team. As always got to give respect to a great Coach Adam Otstot. Thanks for continue to push me and we got some work to do for Chattanooga!!!




1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize you fought so hard from mile 15 onwards! It didn't reflect in the online tracker - way to go, Jason! It IS a magical race in an amazing city with fabulous spectators lining the entire course!

    ReplyDelete